RESEARCH EXPERIENCE FOR UNDERGRADUATES PROGRAMME
The Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) programme offers Emirati undergraduate students an internship opportunity at the Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC) and with MBRSC’s partners in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), United States of America (USA) and France. Accepted students will spend their summer of 2021 mentored by the EMM science team or by international scientists who will guide them in space science related research projects including data analysis and systems modelling.
The REU programme aims to provide undergraduate Emirati students majoring in STEM fields, such as mathematics, physics and engineering, with valuable insight into space science research and the careers available in the sector.
Open to: Undergraduate Emirati students specializing in STEM fields.
Registration deadline: 14th January 2021
Accepted students to EMM’s REU programme will have their research experience in one of the following locations:
1. Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC) Dubai, UAE
MBRSC will host the REU programme in its premises during the summer of 2021, where selected students will be mentored by the EMM science team. The programme will run for 10 weeks from June 6 until August 12 (dates are subject to change).
2. National Space Science and Technology Centre (NSSTC) United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) Al Ain.
UAE Selected students will get the chance to work on space science research (primarily Mars research) in NSSTC – an exceptional science and technology hub in the UAE. The programme will run for 10 weeks from May 30 until July 29 (dates are subject to change).
3. Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) University of Colorado Boulder, USA
Selected students will be sponsored to join the REU programme in Solar and Space Physics held at LASP. The programme will run for 10 weeks from June 6 until August 12 (dates are subject to change). For more information about this programme, please visit: http://lasp.colorado.edu/reu
4. Space Sciences Laboratory (SSL) University of California Berkley, USA
Selected students will be sponsored to join the Advancing Space Sciences through Undergraduate Research Experiences (ASSURE) programme held at SSL. The programme will run for 10 weeks from June 7 until August 13 (dates are subject to change). For more information about this programme, please visit: http://multiverse.ssl.berkeley.edu/assure
5. Northern Arizona University (NAU) University of California Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Selected students will be sponsored to join the REU programme in Astronomy held at NAU. The programme will run for 10 weeks from May 31 until August 3 (dates are subject to change). For more information about this programme, please visit: http://www.physics.nau.edu/~reu/
6. Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique (LMD), Sorbonne University, Paris, France
Selected students will be sponsored to join the Research Experience for Undergraduates programme held at LMD. The programme will run for 10 weeks from May 25 until July 30 (dates are subject to change).
Duties and expectations from students
During the programme, students are expected to:
- Attend all days of the REU Boot Camp prior to the start date of the programme. The REU Boot Camp will provide the students with a solid foundation in space science and research.
- Be present on all days of the REU programme unless laboratory/university is closed for an official holiday or if a student requests an emergency or medical leave.
- Provide bi-weekly progress reports to MBRSC highlighting the work that they have done.
- Be fully invested in the task assigned, and work for 40 hours per week.
- Heavily utilise their programming skills in their assigned tasks.
- Become an integrated member of the team and actively work with mentors.
- Prepare presentations, scientific papers and posters as required by mentors.
- Represent their country and culture in a positive manner. Prepare a presentation for the EMM science team.
Benefits of joining the programme
Upon successfully completing the programme, distinguished students would potentially be offered a full-time scholarship to pursue an advanced degree in science. Distinguished students could also be offered the opportunity to directly join MBRSC’s EMM science team on a full-time basis.
Some students may use the research they have conducted in this programme as an initial step to their senior thesis project at their home universities. Depending on your home university, it might also be possible to have students use the programme for independent study hours.
This internship opportunity is a great pre-requisite for any graduate level science or engineering programme the student may apply to in the future. Many students who attend the programme have very lucrative careers.
Students selected to join international programmes will be provided with flight tickets, accommodation, transportation and compensation throughout the programme. Female students are allowed to have one travel companion to assist them during their stay.
Application submission guidelines
Interested UAE nationals in planetary science and astronomy and are sophomores, juniors and seniors (who are not graduating earlier than the Fall 2021 semester) majoring in physics, chemistry, mathematics, environmental science, computer science, computer engineering, chemical engineering, aerospace engineering and electrical engineering are encouraged to apply to this programme by January 14, 2021 the latest. The following documents are required to ensure that you have successfully applied to the REU programme:
- Emirates ID (front & back)
- Passport copy
- Family book (all pages)
- Recommendation Letter 1
- Recommendation Letter 2
For more information about the REU program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org